Saturday, May 26, 2007

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?: Cyberpunk to Hardboiled Detectives

I'm not a huge fan of the cyberpunk genre, but in small doses, sign me up. With the recent news that William Gibson's Neuromancer will finally be coming to your local neighborhood theater, I thought I'd offer my two cents. Philip K. Dick is the Stephen King of science fiction literature. His work is brilliant: Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?: need I say more (film equivalent: Ridley Scott's Blade Runner?)

As the science fiction genre evolved, a new branch prevailed: Cyberpunk. It's tagline:
"high tech and low life" or "the hacker as hero." Anyway, the genre is worth an introduction. If nothing else, watch Blade Runner. And if you don't like the content, but appreciate the literary formula, you can always jump over to it's cousin-genre: the hardboiled detective novel. The classics: Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon (Sam Spade); Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep: Philip Marlow.