No, I am not a Ryan Cooper republican, but I do worry about the possible perception of weakness the country may project if the wrong candidate (at this point he/she will be a democrat) is chosen come 2008. We need a leader and Hilary Clinton doesn't cut it; not because she is a women, but because she lacks connection: connection with the American people and connection with the perceived ability to innately lead a nation.
Since 2002, I thought Giuliani was a shoe-in until I heard him speak at the recent GOP debates. That first debate buried him. Why? Because he lacked strength and trust. He used analogies to Reagan to the point of being uncomfortable to watch and he was completely out of his element. Post-9/11, he led the greatest American city through its darkest day and his legacy needs to encompass that period of time in history. He won't be our next president.
Who's next? I think if Obama was chosen, our country would be tested mightily. I think there would be more attacks and I think Obama would lead us through them. Our country needs to be tested again just as we were on September 11th; obviously I am not talking mass causalities, but instead a wake-up call. We have since fallen back into a state of complacency that will prove devastating if control is not taken. Not control by the government, but control by the individual. We each need to look at ourselves and take responsibly of our own lives. We need to open up our eyes and educate our minds to the realities of the world that we have inherited and to the one our kids will be inheriting. We need to return to the values of our grandparents and to the morals that our grandparent's parents encouraged. We can do better than what we are doing now. We need to lead by example in our own lives and we need a leader who can do the same in Washington. While Obama may lack experience, look at what "experience" has brought to us the last seven years.
The dark horse in 2008 may be Romney. He is worth a look: he is articulate, he projects strength and confidence; he has a proven track record for success; he fits the bill as a leader. My vote is still up in the air; I am waiting for a true leader; I am waiting for someone that our country and the rest of the world is proud to be led by. I hope that Romney, Obama, or another candidate emerges. At the risk of sounding too morose, if no such women or man comes forth, life, as we know it in this country will, quite simply, cease to exist.
Friday, May 11, 2007
Romney, Obama, and Others
Time Magazine: The Religion Test
Labels: Politics
