It's time to (at least temporarily) evolve the blog. While I enjoy posting on anything that interests me (technology, politics, social networking, etc.) the noise is beginning to distract:
Politics: It's been exciting for me, this past year, to follow the presidential campaign. I had no idea how hungry I was for politics: it's been life-changing, in a sense, to take a stance on issues that will effect not only my life, but my kids' lives as well. Consider me hooked (especially during the next eight years of the Obama presidency).
Technology: Web 2.0 is the immediate future. There will be no escaping it and for those who think it won't affect their lives, they're wrong. Embrace the potential, people.
Contributing to online political and web 2.0 discussions will continue in a major way (Politico, FriendFeed, Twitter, other blogs, etc.), but for the purpose of this blog, it is time to get back to, and focus on, what I am truly passionate about: film, literature, and theatre.
Film: With the introduction of Apple's iTouch, I am watching more movies and documentaries than I ever could have imagined. I am finally getting to that usually unattainable"Oh, thanks for recommendation: I will add it to my must-see" list. I want a place to track and comment on what I watch. Working at the University of Washington, I have free access to an unlimited amount of movies: I grab the documentary or film I want, take it home, iTouch it...all for free. I am finally able to watch all those PBS documentaries: building the Brooklyn Bridge; biographies of FDR and Eugene O'Neill; the birth of NYC's subway system; the history of Broadway. AFI's top films of all time--bring em on: from Chaplin to Brando; from It Could Happen One Night to Schindler's List. Finally I can watch those films that seemed to sneak in and out of the box office without my even realizing they were there: from A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints to Fast Food Nation.
Literature: I won't even get into what will happen when I finally get the yet-to-be released, v.2 Amazon Kindle, but books for me have always been my escape. The written word is unrivaled in terms of expression and emotion. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises, Graham Greene's Heart of the Matter, Ondaatje's The English Patient, Chabon's Kavalier and Clay--these are perfect stories and perfected prose; they, and many others, are beautifully written. This blog will be where I capture the emotion--the confusion--I feel when confronted with the story or character I come across.
Theatre: The stage is where our life--our culture--is at its best. The script, the preparation, the story, the actor, the stage: there is nothing more powerful in terms of emotion and in terms of the human condition. My credits are one (Our Town: George Gibbs)--but those three months of complete transformation changed the way I look at life. The final curtain closed, the production had ended--but a passion for the stage had just begun. I may never get back onto that stage, but I will certainly find my way back to the theatre. This blog will chronicle that journey.
I gave myself 60 seconds to write a personal tagline of what this blog will now represent within the online space:
"Film, literature, and theatre: just another triple-treat connoisseur (and often times fanatic) of skilled acting, depth in prose, and anything theatre."
It might stick.
---
A frothy Guinness to you for stopping by and another for coming back,
Stagekid
Politics: It's been exciting for me, this past year, to follow the presidential campaign. I had no idea how hungry I was for politics: it's been life-changing, in a sense, to take a stance on issues that will effect not only my life, but my kids' lives as well. Consider me hooked (especially during the next eight years of the Obama presidency).
Technology: Web 2.0 is the immediate future. There will be no escaping it and for those who think it won't affect their lives, they're wrong. Embrace the potential, people.
Contributing to online political and web 2.0 discussions will continue in a major way (Politico, FriendFeed, Twitter, other blogs, etc.), but for the purpose of this blog, it is time to get back to, and focus on, what I am truly passionate about: film, literature, and theatre.
Film: With the introduction of Apple's iTouch, I am watching more movies and documentaries than I ever could have imagined. I am finally getting to that usually unattainable"Oh, thanks for recommendation: I will add it to my must-see" list. I want a place to track and comment on what I watch. Working at the University of Washington, I have free access to an unlimited amount of movies: I grab the documentary or film I want, take it home, iTouch it...all for free. I am finally able to watch all those PBS documentaries: building the Brooklyn Bridge; biographies of FDR and Eugene O'Neill; the birth of NYC's subway system; the history of Broadway. AFI's top films of all time--bring em on: from Chaplin to Brando; from It Could Happen One Night to Schindler's List. Finally I can watch those films that seemed to sneak in and out of the box office without my even realizing they were there: from A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints to Fast Food Nation.
Literature: I won't even get into what will happen when I finally get the yet-to-be released, v.2 Amazon Kindle, but books for me have always been my escape. The written word is unrivaled in terms of expression and emotion. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises, Graham Greene's Heart of the Matter, Ondaatje's The English Patient, Chabon's Kavalier and Clay--these are perfect stories and perfected prose; they, and many others, are beautifully written. This blog will be where I capture the emotion--the confusion--I feel when confronted with the story or character I come across.
Theatre: The stage is where our life--our culture--is at its best. The script, the preparation, the story, the actor, the stage: there is nothing more powerful in terms of emotion and in terms of the human condition. My credits are one (Our Town: George Gibbs)--but those three months of complete transformation changed the way I look at life. The final curtain closed, the production had ended--but a passion for the stage had just begun. I may never get back onto that stage, but I will certainly find my way back to the theatre. This blog will chronicle that journey.
I gave myself 60 seconds to write a personal tagline of what this blog will now represent within the online space:
"Film, literature, and theatre: just another triple-treat connoisseur (and often times fanatic) of skilled acting, depth in prose, and anything theatre."
It might stick.
---
A frothy Guinness to you for stopping by and another for coming back,
Stagekid
