Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Future of the Novel

What is becoming an increasingly favorite feed, ReadWriteWeb has a recent post about the direction of the novel: Will The Future Novel Be More Than Text on a Page. With the revolutionary Kindle, everything is changing regarding the consumption of words on a page: books, newspapers, and magazines are becoming forms of nostalgia with each passing day.

(A side note: The new trend--one in which I believe will turn to habit and permanence in the foreseeable future--is simplicity: a reduction of clutter in our garages; a simple online experience where the days of flashy and wordy distractions will be replaced with mass RSS consolidation and social network aggregation; our offices digitalized to the point of Zen-like... okay so I'm fantasizing here a bit. But, while I do think simple will be the new favorite flavor--and while there is no doubt I will be reading and applying in my life everything described here--the chances that the masses will start truly changing their consumption habits are pretty remote.)

A quick close-in-thought on the future of the novel: I can't wait for its evolution. I will always have a copy of my favorite novels (A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, The Fountainhead, The English Patient), but other than those and a few others, bring on the Kindle and all that follows.

---
A frothy Guinness to you for stopping by and another for coming back,
StageKid