Wednesday, June 20, 2007

As With All Great Movies—Watch it Alone: Two Girls and a Guy

There's a feeling that I get, every so often, that's hard to explain. Whenever I'm lucky enough to be blind-sided by it, I do one of four things: I start working on the blueprints of my someday-to-be international travel abroad company; I start working on ideas for the next great screenplay; I start reading great screenplays written by great minds; or I turn to Robert Downey's Jr. unwanted masterpiece Two Girls and a Guy. I made the mistake once of telling my sister-in-law that this was one of my favorite movies; to this day, I get the feeling I am the last person she would ever ask for a popcorn-laden, Saturday night movie recommendation. Time to make the mistake again: this is one of my favorite movies.

RDJ's performance, in this stage-like classic, is nothing short of brilliant; Wagner's performance is borderline painful; while I've turned off most of Heather Graham's movies, she actually delivers here. My writing isn't good enough to provide a review, so I'll direct you here for that. But I must say that Downey's performance is a clinic for actors. It's not a perfect movie; it's not a perfect performance--but in an age where Hollywood continues to produce commercial trash, this small movie stands as a reminder of the power of film and performance.

Like you should do at least once with all great movies--watch it alone. If I ever find the courage to go back into acting, this performance would be one of the reasons why.