It doesn't really make sense why I have not posted yet on The Fountainhead. Maybe it's because I don't want to share my thoughts with the world; maybe I've been afraid of the influence such thinking will lead in terms of action (ridiculous); maybe I've started to be influenced by what others think of Rand, her philosophy, and her two books (Atlas Shrugged being the second most read book to the Bible; I finished The Fountainhead years ago and I am 700+ pages into Atlas). Regardless of the reason, as I get older, I am realizing that it is now impossible for me not to think about the issues she tackles—objectivism, selfishness, solitude, the individual, politics—or the characters she brilliantly created. By no means do I think The Fountainhead is a great piece of prose literature when compared to the likes of Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises, but it is the most influential piece of writing that I have ever read.
I need an outlet for the emotion that I feel when I think of this book; when something happens in my life that forces me to wake up, break out and fight the complacency and monotony that our culture produces, I need a place to go; I need a place that will help me remember those days where I spent countless hours trying to understand what the hell she was trying to say. Since I go to this blog everyday, and because I am so busy, why not have that outlet be here: it's safe; it's personal; it's mine. It's not like anyone is actually reading this anyway.
