Thursday, June 14, 2007

Video Vault: Ayn Rand Interview (by Mike Wallace) 1959

A. Rand - Mike Wallace Interview 1959

Preface: Ayn Rand takes many of her ideas to an extreme that, to a lot of people, are arrogant and uncomfortable. I am nowhere close to understanding the principles of her philosophy; this interview is about as far as I want to go to get to know her; her characters, on the other hand, now that's a different story. What I admire about Rand was her courage to take a stance. She interpreted life in a unique and unwavering way and believed in a system of thought that is rooted in reason and sustained by men and women who are willing to delve—even if the people around them watch with scorn—into the true nature of selfishness. I do not consider myself an "Objectivist": to do so would be, for me, limiting and irresponsible. While there's certainly a great deal that I subscribe to here, I'm just a guy trying to figure out where I stand.