Friday, May 23, 2008

morning coffee: "Reagan Aids See Echo of the Gipper..."

Source: Huffington Post
Post: "Reagan Aides See Echo Of The Gipper In Obama Diplomacy"

My Take: One of the interesting side-effects of following this presidential campaign is the re- introduction (and given my 28 years, more like an introduction) to President Reagan's policies and influence. While politics wasn't usually a topic at the dinner table growing up, Reagan was always hovering in the background... slowly establishing his legacy (my extremely vocal, conservative grandfather may have had something to do with this).

What I like best about Obama is that I trust him (yes, I know he's a politician and yes that's another wide-eyed, naive statement). While throwing out Reagan's name will attract attention and hopefully lead to some sway votes, I don't feel like pondering is his endgame. I honestly believe he wants the best people on his White House Team--Democrats, Independents, and Republicans, alike. Talking to our enemies should not be synonymous with weakness (e.g. Reagan: Russia).

(Another reason why Obama is grabbing my attention: Team of Rivals.)

Suffice to say, I'm hooked on articles like the below (the connection is one I plan on studying intensely throughout the next eight years)...

- - - - - - - - -
"An unexpected if not remarkable component has emerged in this still developing general election race: both candidates are, in one way or another, trying to claim the mantle of Ronald Reagan. This past week, as the political world immersed itself in a debate over the efficacies of diplomatic engagement, Sen. Barack Obama claimed that his pledge to meet with world leaders, whether friend or foe, was more in line with the Gipper than the foreign policy of John McCain, a self-proclaimed "foot soldier" of the Reagan Revolution." (Full Post)